Friday, June 8, 2012

Champagne Cocktails

Today is Friday. Friday is my free day. Now when I say this I don't really mean free. I still have to be mommy, cook, maid, teacher, etc....free means I can eat and drink without guilt. I exercise daily during the week but on Friday and Saturday I live it up (as much as you can with 3 kids). Today was an exceptionally stressful day since the baby decided to be creative. I will spare you the details but the resulting mess (toxic) was enough to drive anyone to drink. And so my recipe for the day is just that...alcoholic!


Tonight we are making Champagne Cocktails. Now, the only time I have ever heard of this drink was in the movie "Blast from the Past" and they make reference to it being a drink for prostitutes to which Brendon Frasier's character responds "I know my mom likes them." Well, as a mom I know why. They are delicious and they make the special parts of the day just melt away.

I found this drink on pinterest and the recipe can be found at

http://putneyfarm.com/2012/06/05/bonus-cocktail-the-classic-champagne-cocktail/


To create this wonderful cocktail you will need:

 

The Classic Champagne Cocktail:
Ingredients:
  • 1 sugar cube or 1/4 oz. simple syrup
  • 3 dashes Angostura bitters (kind of shake it out like you would Tabasco)
  • 1/2 oz. quality Cognac or Armagnac (You can use cheap Champagne as long as the Cognac is decent - we used Hennessy Very Special Cognac)
  • 4 oz. Champagne or sparking wine (We used Ballatore)
  • 1 large lemon twist (give it a squeeze from a lemon wedge - a few drops will do)

I made some simple syrup prior to making the drink and if you want to go this route the recipe is as follows:

1 cup water
1 cup sugar

Boil water then add sugar and stir until dissolved...voila...simple syrup. The name really does say it all. I bought a really cheap glass bottle at Walmart for about $2.00 to keep the simple syrup in for future uses.

To make your liabation:
  1. Mix bitters, simple syrup and cognac over ice and shake.
  2. Add squeeze of lemon
  3. Pour cognac mixture into a champagne flute and fill the remaining space with champagne. 
  4. Enjoy!


I am not a hard liquor drinking girl. I like things light and sweet. If you are like me then this is the drink for you.

I am not trying to say that being a mom is driving me to drink but I think if you are a mom you understand how Friday night feels. To all my mommy friends I raise a toast to you...whether you work outside the home or not you have one of the hardest jobs in the world and if a drink now and then help you to keep your sanity then I say...pour me another! Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment